Is blood pressure value of 150/100 a cause for concern?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My age is 25 and my BP is 150/100, my cholesterol and sugar level are normal.. my height is 173 cm and weight is 73 Kg.. kindly advise
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need follow up & treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The range for the upper figure for Blood pressure (Systolic) is 90 to 140 mm Hg.
The range for the lower figure (Diastolic) is 60 to 90 mm Hg.

Check it again at least 3 to 4 times.
If still high, start treatment.
The aim is to prevent long term complications... the problem is silent!

Reduce salt in food…
No alcohol / no tobacco / no weight gain /

See your doctor… preferably a Cardiologist (heart specialist) or Nephrologist (Kidney specialist); they are the ones best suited to treat the pressure.
Because you are young, they may do more investigations – for the kidney, hormones etc. to exclude any secondary cause for the pressure. Most likely, we may not be able to find one, but the cost and inconvenience is worth the trouble, in view of the young age.

Your BMI (Body Mass Index)is in normal range (24.4).
Do NOT put on any more weight! – it is now appropriate for your height

Good luck
God bless you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Dear Sir,
Already I took echo cardiogram , renal doppler, 24hrs urine test.... All are normal .. Could i control without medicines
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not feasible

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It is not possible to control without medicines…
A reduction by 5 mm is all that can be achieved in most people with strict measures…
The wise course is to take medicine

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Dear Sir,
whether i need to take medicine for my whole life.. please suggest me somethings to stay away from medicines
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sorry - NO alternative

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There is NO known proved way to control except taking medicines.

I will recommend lifestyle (diet, exercise and stress) measures as following:
Diet: Take low calorie foods. Avoid milk products like cheese, butter, ghee, cream, etc. Take fruits and salad atleast 5 times a day.Take low salt, low sugar and low oil diet. Salty foods like chips are to be avoided completely.
Exercise: Do exercise daily for 20-30 min a day. Exercise can include gym, walk, yoga, swimming, etc. Athletes usually have lower blood pressure than non-athletes.
Stress: cannot be avoided. But measures can be taken so that stress does not have an effect on you. Please try yoga and breathing techniques to de-stress yourself.

In nearly fifty years of my medical practice, I have not seen good control without medicines.
You must aim for 130/80. Blood pressure is a silent killer, but can be controlled well. And life expectancy is nearly normal, if well controlled. If you want a long life, medicines must be taken lifelong.
You can get yourself tested by a cardiologist to find any cause of high blood pressure. If a cause is found and treated, then your blood pressure may lower.

There are millions of people, taking pressure medicines

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj