Is blood pressure value of 120/59 a cause for concern?

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was diagnosed with broken heart syndrome around February 18th. My blood pressure over the last eight weeks at times had spiked and one I had to go to emergency room with 189/99. Now for the last few days my blood pressure has been going lower. Tonight after I took my blood pressure medicine metoprolol 25 MG my blood pressure dropped to 120 over 59. The bottom number concerns me because my blood pressure was very low when I was in XXXXXXX hospital in Atlanta the first few days. It may have been induced to give my heart time to heal. I am just concerned about going to bed and my blood pressure going too low.
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

Don't worry. 120/59 is a normal blood pressure, even if it is low for you, it is not dangerous. And if it decreases more during sleep, then it will cause no harm, as our organism is adapted to have low blood pressure at night, when we sleep. When we are in horizontal position the brain receives blood supply even in case of low blood pressure. So don't worry, go to bed, and everything will be fine.
For the future, if you have blood pressure variations frequently, see your doctor to revise your treatment.

Wishing you good health

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask