• question-icon

Is blood pressure of 158/108 a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I woke this morning with blood pressure 158/108. Should I go to the Er ?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that such a high blood pressure value needs a careful attention, especially if you have a previous history of hypertension.

If you are actually without any complaints (no headache, no shortness of breath, no chest pain or discomfort, non vertigo, etc.) and you haven't any previous history of high blood pressure, then you may way and see if your BP values are going to normalize or at least decrease spontaneously after having some rest, avoiding any triggering factors (like caffeinated drinks, possible smoking contacts, physical activity, excessive noise, etc.).

In such case, you could fix an appointment with your attending physician for a careful check up including a physical exam and some lab tests:

- resting ECG,
- complete blood count,
- thyroid hormones level,
- fasting blood glucose,
- liver and kidney function tests,
- blood electrolytes level,
- cardiac ultrasound

Otherwise, if you have persistent symptoms and your blood pressure values do not drop down, especially if you have previous history of hypertension, then I strongly encourage you to ask medical assistance to the nearest ER service at your living area.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist