Is blood pressure of 140/80 a cause for concern?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I am 40 yrs old. I just to find out if i am prone to stroke if my bp below 140 systolic 80's diastolic?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
If your BP levels are below 140/80 this is normal. These BP levels do not put you at high risk for stroke. There are few other factors like if you have high lipids, high sugar, you smoke, family history of stroke, sedentary life style, overweight, age more than 50 in males, etc. You will need to check your lipids and sugar levels and if you smoke quit it.

Kind regards

Dr Antonet
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 19 hours later
My doctor wants me to check my blood sugar. I checked before dinner last night it was 114 mg/dl.

I forgot to ask her about lisinopril 5 mg which i am taking right now does it cause hair loss. You think can i still workout (body building ) while still in this medication.
Brief Answer:
have Hba1C done for sugar levels and a heart ultrasound. Lisinopril is good

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your reply.
Checking the blood sugar is best done fasting, which means 8-12 hours after the last meal or 2 hours after the last meal. These give a good understanding of the sugar levels at the time of measurement. The best test to tell us how the sugar levels have been in the last weeks is HbA1C which tells us how the sugar has been in the last 3 months and is the most accurate index.
Having the test at dinner time is hard to interpret the values as you have to be at least 8 hours without food and I do not know if you did have this time frame. The value you give is in the upper limits for fasting values.
I would recommend you to have the HbA1C done and this gives you more accurate values and does not depend on the eating status (you do not need to be fasted when you have this test).
Body buiding is a stress to the heart and up to a point is healthy but if you do hours of exercises a day this might cause the heart to hypertrophy and this is not healthy. Keeping yourself fit is healthy which means regular exercise daily but not overexercising. If you have been doing bodybuilding for a while I would recommend you to have a hear ultrasound to make sure if your heart has been in work load for a while and this caused it to get hypertrophied.
As for Lisinopril, this is a very good medication for hypertension and well tolerated generally. In no official site was mentioned that it might cause hairloss so I do not think you are going to have this side effect from it. You are in a very small dose also. Did your doctor ask you to go up to 10 or 20 mg a day? This is the usual dose generally.
So to conclude:
- Have HbA1C done as is the best test to show how your sugar has been in a while
- try to be fit but watch overexercising as it might cause stress to the heart and might cause hypertrophy of the heart that is a risk for heart attacks. Have an ultrasound of the heart - this is recommended in the first work up when we diagnose hypertension also as hypertension might cause the heart to hypertrophy also.
- Lisinopril does not seem to cause hairloss, is very good medication for hypertension.

Please let me know if anymore clarifications are needed.

Kind Regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 18 minutes later
I check my blood sugar this morning 112 mg/dl. I just got the result of my echocardiogram i am feeling bad regarding this result and i am going to see my cardiologist. I was diagnosed with Mild mitral valve regurtation i dont know how bad is this and how to deal with it an how will affect my daily activities
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild mitral regurgitation is usual finding and not necessarily worrisome

Detailed Answer:

Mild mitral valve regurgitation is a very common finding in echocardiograms. Not necessarily bad news. Many people that think are healthy when they do a heart ultrasound they find they have mild mitral regurgitation and they do well generally.

You will need to check with your doctor how much is the regurgitation and probably you will need to repeat echocardiograms every year or two to monitor your heart as any other patient with hypertension would do.
I would say do not worry as it is very common, just make sure you do get the follow up as you should and have a healthy lifestyle and take the medications as recommended.
Sugar 112 in the morning is in the upper normal limits. Having HbA1C will give a better understanding.

Hope this is helpful but please let me know of any concenrs,

Kind Regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 9 minutes later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

I am glad I was able to answer to your questions and am available in case you have any other health issues to ask.

If you do not have further questions related to this medical issue, I would appreciate if you rate the answers.

Kind regards and take care

Dr Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 27 hours later
Hi Doctor i went to the gym and when i went home i noticed there is flushing light on my left eye i dont if this related to my blood pressure
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it is not likely related to blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

The blood pressure values you have mentioned do not justify any visual problems so very likely the episode you had is not related to it.

If you haven't had an eye trauma and no pain or visual changes very likely this is not a dangerous issue and there is nothing to worry.

If you had eye trauma or you have any pain in the eye or visual changes you will need to have your eyes checked with a doctor.

Vision changes mean any changes like blurry vision, dark spots in the visual field in any direction or wavy image in vision field.

If any of the above mentioned symptoms present, then please visit an ophthalmologist for a prompt eye check-up.

Otherwise, it's quite unlikely that the symptoms you had are at all related to blood pressure.

I hope this is helpful and addresses your concerns but please feel free to contact me in case of any more clarification needed.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 11 minutes later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy