Is blood pressure of 140/70 a cause for concern?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: Today my blood pressure was 140/70. I was very nervous, and the nurse said that could raise the top number. Doctor did not mention it, and I forgot to ask. Usually my pressure is normal. 120/70 or so.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get your blood pressure measured on two other occasions.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your BP is on the higher side. One reading is not enough and you need to get your BP checked on three different situations. If the pressure is raised on multiple occasions you need to get cautious. Restricting total amount of dietary salt would be the first step. If that does not suffice you would need to take regular medication for the same. Please do not ignore it.

Let me know if I could help further.