Is blood pressure hereditary. Symptoms?
As mentioned in your news letter, i wanted to know whether the blood pressure is hereditary or not. My father has a history blood pressure. And is there any symptoms of blood pressure ?
1. Usually there are no symptoms of high blood pressure or hypertension (as we call it medically). It only manifests, when over a period, it has caused significant end organ damage. For example, a brain strokes (paralysis), a heart attack, Kidney failure or a sudden rupture of largest blood vessel of body (aortic dissection). That is why it is also known as SILENT KILLER. There is a common myth that blood pressure causes headache. Either most of the time headache is not because of blood pressure but is only a bystander or it is a reactionary rise in blood pressure (high BP due to pain). High blood pressure can cause headache only at very high pressures (e.g. when diastolic blood pressure (the lower one of the two readings) goes over 120 mmHg).
2. Scientifically speaking "Blood pressure patterns follow familial trends". However, this will be gross extrapolation if we state that every hypertensive father's kid will have hypertension. Whatever data regarding genetic mechanisms of hypertension is available is not sufficient to conclude that this disease (idiopathic or primary hypertension) runs in families. If your father is hypertensive, we cannot predict that you will have or you will not have hypertension with certainty. I would advise you to follow life style measures to avoid developing high. These include low salt intake, optimal weight (Body mass index~23), Moderation of alcohol intake (<60ml of whisky per day), regular exercise and following DASH diet plan.
Hope this helps.
Feel free to discuss more.
Thanks for your prompt reply.Would you be kind enough to explain what a DASH diet plan is ? Due to my hectic schedule, my eating habit is a mess.
DASH means "Dietary approaches to stop hypertension". It includes
1. Low salt diet (No table salt, avoid high salt items like Chutneys, pickles, white bread, soup, Jaljeera, Papad and so called "Churans" (thin powdered mixtures of various condiments) (like Kayam churan). No salt on salads.
2. Diet XXXXXXX in fruits, vegetables and whole grains, Low fat or non-fat dairy products, fish, poultry, lean meat, nuts, seeds and legumes.
3. Low to moderate consumption of fats.
4. Diet XXXXXXX in calcium, magnesium and potassium.
You may consult your dietitian for more detailed diet chart.
Hope this helps.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of blood pressure dysphagia
- Symptoms of blood pressure disorders
- Is blood pressure hereditary symptoms
- Symptoms of blood pressure asthma
- Blood pressure and eye symptoms
- Heart blood pressure symptoms
- Symptoms with 157104 blood pressure
- Symptoms of Fluctuating blood pressure
- Symptoms of low blood pressure
- High blood pressure symptoms
- Taking atenelol and coversyl. Prescribed modafinil for hyper insomnia....
- 91 years old. Receiving breathing treatment. Found high pulse rate....
- Pain in abdomen below rib cage. Taking medicine for hypertension. Advise
- Increasing breathlessness. Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, heart...
- Best medicine for LDL cholesterol, triglyceride and hdl?
- Need help in reading ECG report. What is sinus rhythm?
- Have cardiomyopathy due to over workout at the gym. Is there any...
- Had pacemaker implanted. Diagnosed with pericarditis, postpericardiotomy...
- On Clondine for controlling Blood pressure. Wanted to switch to...
- Took perendopril, bendrthiazide for hypertension. Got swelling on ankle...