• question-icon

Is blood oxygen level of 79% a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: what is a normal O2 level for a 74 year old female. Is 79 or 80 ok with a pulse of 88.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you mean O2 saturation?

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

I can understand your concern

If with 79 or 80 you mean Sat O2% these values are low .A normal value of Sat O2 should be over 95% in a normal subject. In a patient in oxygen therapy should be over 90-92 % (depending on the lung problem).It would be better to discuss with her doctor if Sat O2 is 79% or 80%.She can not take off oxygen in this situation

If with these values you mean PaO2 (the mean partial pressure of oxygen) than these are in normal ranges and you can stop oxygen for a while.

Heart rate are normal too

I wish a fast recovery for you

Take care and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 3 hours later
thank you for responding. Yes, I believe I was meaning o2 saturation. We are checking with a device that fits on her figure and I think it measures saturation. She can only eat small amounts of food at a time like maybe 1-2 tablespoon fulls and often isn't able to keep the food down so I was even thinking that she might be somewhat low on iron as well which might be adding to the trouble. I had her put the oxygen back on and we placed cotton balls around the tubing behind her ears. Her percentage is back up too. Gonna try to give her a multi vitamin supplement as well. Thanks again and take care as well.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

You are doing the best for her.

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist