Is blood oxygen level of 77% a cause for concern?

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My sister has stage 4 copd. she just text with oxi level 77%. tell me what that means. thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Low oxygen saturation of the blood

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for using HealthcareMagic.
I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern .

Oxygen level 77% shows low oxygen in the blood ( hemoglobin is bound with 77%with oxygen ) , normally this value should be 94-95%or more .

She has lack of oxygen in the blood and resulting in low oxygen delivery to the other organs too. Thus there's a need to take oxygen therapy and use the rescue drugs for the acute phase of COPD (Ventoline/Salbutamol), corticosteroids etc.

My suggestion would be, better to take her in the hospital to manage this acute phase .

Hope I have answered your question.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications.

Take Care !
Dr Balliu.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee