Is blood in urine indicative of cancer?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Wed, 8 May 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi I’m a 32 year old female. I had 2 pregnancies in the past 3 years (have a 2 year old and a baby). When I was pregnant the first time they noticed blood in my urine which was not infection they checked. Since I was pregnant couldn’t do more testing. I still have blood in my urine (microscopic). No pain, weight loss or other symptoms. I’m not an athlete but pretty active around the house. Ht: 5’2”, wt 127lbs. No family history of cancer or kidney stones. No diabetes or other dx. Only have HSV1. What do you think this can be? Cancer? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Needs further evaluation

Detailed Answer:

There are various reasons for microscopic hematuria (blood in urine) and further evaluation is mandatory for proper diagnosis and treatment.

There is a whole list of other causes to consider before thinking of cancer.

Kidney or bladder infections are the primary cause of blood in urine but you refer that this possibility has been excluded, I am assuming, through a urine test.

Another cause could be glomerulonephritis, which is a disorder of the filtering system in the kidneys.

Kidney and bladder stones can cause hematuria also. If you take any kind of medication, that could also be the reason for blood in the urine.

The urologist will most probably ask for a urinalysis to check for red and white blood cells, followed by an ultrasound and a cystoscopy (endoscopy of the bladder) or a pyelogram (x-ray of the kidney), depending on the findings of the previous diagnostic test.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ornela Ademovi, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee