Is blood in loose stools a a symptom of IBS?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Apr 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Just a little history, I am 47 and after suffering from constipation for most of my life at about 28 it switch more to diarrhea, It seemed I was bothered most by painful cramps and diarrhea during that time of the month or when I was under a great amount of stress. Doctors have called it spastic colon and IBS, but no one did tests. Over a year ago I had a very serious episode that included bloody diarrhea that lasted 2 days, but I had very loose stools for two weeks after. My doctor said food poisoning or diverticulitis. (I think it was food poisoning). She order a colonoscopy in 6 weeks but by then I was OK and canceled. The pattern went back to having the normal painful diarrhea (no blood) at the expected times. OK, so last week my mom had a stroke. I immediately got an episode of painful diarrhea that lasted about an hour. Afterward, for a few days it varied from normal to ribbony to watery. After that the colon area stayed what I would describe as sore for several days after. When I would take steps to walk or sit down it hurt. That got better but now I am having little sharp spasms in the colon area about every minute or so. This has gone on for two days. I am a produce farmer and am trying to plant but it seems to aggravate the spasms when I squat and bend over. I have to bend over planting for several hours a day. So I have 2 questons:
Does this sound like IBS? and When I am bending over to plant for long peroids am I actually aggravating my colon and preventing it from getting back to normal. Do you think I am actually causing the spasms by this action? And if so, could I actually aggravate it enough to throw myself into a terrible attack like I had a couple of years ago? The last thing I need is to put myself out of commission for two weeks. It's not like I have a choice whether or not to get my work done, if I did I would rest and see what happens. I have a lot of hours of bending at my waist ahead of me. I would just like to know if I am pressing my luck with all this bending over or if that is hopefully irrelevant to the situation. (I have no other illness and take no meds)
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further diagnostic tests advised

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

You are reporting to have bloody diarrhea which is not typical for IBS.

In order to determine the final diagnosis, if I was your caring doctor would advise to run further diagnostic tests :
- colonoscopy
- fecal occult blood test
- abdominal ultrasound

After getting the results, we can discuss for a more specific treatment.

For the moment, I advise to :
- avoid foods that would aggravate diarrhea
- take probiotics to stabilize intestinal flora
- increase water intake

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 44 minutes later
Just to clarify the blood was only once over a year ago, and may have been food poisoning as I had eaten Chinese that did not taste right. Doc said either food poisoning or diverticulis. Now I am having the normal stress related symptoms I have always had, except for the spasms. I know I need tests. But for now my question was really about the bending. Will squatting and bending at the waist for an extended period aggravate the colon if it is already messed up from stress. My problems are ALWAYS stress related. I have to bend to do my job, but I am wondering if I am prolonging my problem with the spasms by bending, or if that has nothing to do with it. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, prolonged bending on waist can aggravate your symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Yes, it is true that when pressure is put on abdomen for a long period of time, IBS abd other bowel problems will get aggravated.

That's why my recommendation in such cases is to avoid all possible factors that would aggravate your symptoms including physical activity and/or foods.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Klerida