Is blood glucose level of 157 a cause for concern?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: hello there. I ahvenjust recently started monitoring my blood glucose level because everytime I have a blood test, they dont tell me to fast,theu kust sprongbthe test on me. anywaus , two hours after eating dinner, my level was 157. is that bad?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mildly elevated glucoses

Detailed Answer:
It seems you are not known to have diabetes.

In this case, 157 couple hours after dinner represents a potential pre-diabetes condition.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid) 12 hour Fasting Lipid profile
25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)
Correct diagnosis and treatment requires the opportunity to examine the patient so you must see an endocrinologist in-person.