Is blood cholesterol level of 258 a cause for concern?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Hi I'm a 22 years old male my total blood cholesterol is 258 . I jogg 3 times a week ..do strength training 3 times a week and do swimming for 1 hour every day and I don't eat any junk food . I don't even eat sugar or tea or coffee
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your blood cholesterol is high

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
I can understand your concern.

The given result of blood cholesterol is high which needs to be controlled
Can you provide the following details so that I can analyze better and give my advice:

1. Give other details of lab tests like serum triglycerides, blood glucose, blood urea, serum creatinine, if you have done.
2. Do you have any family member with diabetes, high BP or high cholesterol?
3. Your body weight and height?

Awaiting your reply.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 46 minutes later
I'm 173cm tall and weigh 68kg ...my father had a heart attack when he was 47 . my uncle and grandfather died because of heart attack .my mother has high blood cholesterol and is taking madicines
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start taking medicine to reduce the high cholesterol

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to know that you have a positive family history apparently suggestive of high cholesterol problem.

Since high cholesterol is associated with the risk of heart disease & stroke hence I would advise you to take oral Simvastatin which is effective in reducing the high cholesterol level.

It can be taken once daily preferably in the evening.
Generally it is safe, however it can cause muscle pain (myopathy), liver injury, or allergic reactions in susceptible individuals. In case if you get the muscle pain or right upper abdominal pain you must visit your treating doctor so that you will be prescribed an alternate but a safer medicine to lower your cholesterol level.

Beside your BMI = 22.72 Kg/m2 which is normal.
Avoid taking fatty meals, take plenty of fruits & vegetables.

Hope this answers your query. However, I shall be glad to answer your follow up query if any.

Regards.