Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Is blisters in genital area a sign of genital herpes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2718 Questions
I (66) am dating a man (70) who had mono in high school and fever blisters on his mouth in college and occasionally over the years. I have had fever blisters around my mouth when in the sun most of my life about once a year or less. Recently, I experienced a group of blisters in my genital area and my sister thinks it is from fever blisters and my boyfriends "lingering/recurring" mono. Is this even possible? Can you get mouth fever blisters in the genital area? Or have I somehow now contracted the genital type of herpes? By the way, we are both widowed. So, we are thinking it is some kind of recurring thing that one or the other of us has had in the past.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Genital blisters possibly due to HSV 1 infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.

Childhood Mono of your man-friend had nothing to do with your genital blisters. These blisters are nothing but Genital Herpes infection.
Herpes simplex infection is caused by two types of organisms. They are HSV 1 and HSV 2. HSV 2 is an essentially a STD whereas HSV 1 infection (cold sore, fever blisters) is usually spreads through other than sexual route. Rarely it can be transmitted to genitals through oral sex.
So it could be possible that your genital blisters transmitted through oral sex from your man-friend who also had fever blisters.
Recurrence of these sores is very difficult to control. Consult your physician and follow their advise regarding the treatment.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor