Is blisters in genital area a sign of genital herpes?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
I (66) am dating a man (70) who had mono in high school and fever blisters on his mouth in college and occasionally over the years. I have had fever blisters around my mouth when in the sun most of my life about once a year or less. Recently, I experienced a group of blisters in my genital area and my sister thinks it is from fever blisters and my boyfriends "lingering/recurring" mono. Is this even possible? Can you get mouth fever blisters in the genital area? Or have I somehow now contracted the genital type of herpes? By the way, we are both widowed. So, we are thinking it is some kind of recurring thing that one or the other of us has had in the past.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Genital blisters possibly due to HSV 1 infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Childhood Mono of your man-friend had nothing to do with your genital blisters. These blisters are nothing but Genital Herpes infection.
Herpes simplex infection is caused by two types of organisms. They are HSV 1 and HSV 2. HSV 2 is an essentially a STD whereas HSV 1 infection (cold sore, fever blisters) is usually spreads through other than sexual route. Rarely it can be transmitted to genitals through oral sex.
So it could be possible that your genital blisters transmitted through oral sex from your man-friend who also had fever blisters.
Recurrence of these sores is very difficult to control. Consult your physician and follow their advise regarding the treatment.
Dr S.Murugan