Is biologics treatment safe and effective for psoriasis?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Psoriasis
Question: How to treat Psoriasis. Is UV/Biologics treatement is effective?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
From your query, i glean that either you or a dear one has suffered from Psoriasis for quite some time now as most of my patients' with Psoriasis have ailed from the disease for long periods. the good news however, is that most of them have made their peace with one or the other modality of treatment.
Psoriasis simply put is a chronic condition with exacerbations & remissions. While there is a definitve genetic factor directing the release of inflammatory mediators' et al, there is such an interplay that targetting just one particular gene or mediator may not be the answer.
UVB (ultraviolet B)311 (the narrow band range) is an effective therapy & I use it currently in my clinic at St Marthas' Hospital in Blore. There are various other centres in Blore & India & i suggest you pick one closest to your residence as it involves a twice/week sessions & convenience is important.
Biologicals is a newer modality (about 5-10yrs now) & personally i have used it extensively while i was in the Gulf & it can be effective in say psoriasis patients' with arthritis or joint pains in particular. The downside is there are different biologicals & one has to pick the right one for the individual psoriatic patient. In addition, there are a lot of side effects & the cost factor sometimes is prohibitive unless your insurance covers the treatment & it is best to check all this before starting a biological & in any case, Biologicals should be reserved for severe psoriasis when all other modalities of treatment have been exhausted.
I would advise visiting your dermatologist nearest you as all this looks good on paper but treatment for psoriasis in particular has to be tailored for individuals & to quote an adage: 'one man's food can be another man's poison'!
Good Luck & trust this will have covered most bases & wish you continued good health.
Regds...
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Bangalore, India.