Is bedridden. Getting water blisters around legs. How to avoid this?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife is bedridden. She is getting water blisters around the legs where her diaper loosely fits across her bottom. The Nurse put large bandaides without any medication. It isn't working. What do I do? email: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Avoid infection in the area. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The water blisters most of the times heal spontaneously if these are not infected. You have to avoid getting them infected at all costs. Apply an antibiotic ointment, such as polymyxin B or bacitracin, if she is not allergic to it. The ointment will prevent the bandage from sticking to the blister and may help prevent infection. Do not use alcohol or iodine on the blister because these may delay healing. Loosely apply a bandage or gauze. Secure the bandage so the tape does not touch the blister. Change the bandage every day and any time it gets wet or dirty. In case there is any pus like discharge then do consult a physician for oral antibiotics. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.