Owl Image

Is back pain caused due to excessive driving or lack of exercise?

Spine Surgeon
Question
Is back pain primarily posture driven or it may arise due to excessive driving,lack of excercise as well.Are there any other reasons as well.
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 3 hours later

Definitely, back pain has multifactorial cause. I am listing a few here:
- Bending awkwardly
- Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling incorrectly
- Slouching in chairs
- Standing or bending down for long periods
- Twisting
- Over-stretching
- Driving in a hunched position
- Driving for long periods without taking a break
- Overuse of the muscles, usually due to sport or repetitive movements (repetitive strain injury)

Our activities in awkward positions definitely put more load on the spine which can cause back pain.
Some risk factors increase the risk of developing back pain. These include:
1. Being overweight – the extra weight puts pressure on the spine.
2. Smoking – this could be due to tissue damage in the back caused by smoking or the fact that smokers tend to have unhealthier lifestyles than non-smokers.
3. Being pregnant – the excess weight of carrying a baby can place additional strain on the back.
4. Long-term use of medication that is known to weaken bones, such as corticosteroids.
5. Stress – it is thought that stress can cause tension in the muscles of the back, which can result in back pain.
6. Depression – back pain can make people feel depressed, which can sometimes result in weight gain leading to more severe pain and worsening depression.

So definitely lack of exercise and excessive driving can cause back ache. You also need to consider the aforementioned reasons too.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if I can assist you with further queries.