Is back pain a symptom of bone spurs?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: what is a lower back spur and swelling and what is the treatment? the pain is with walking and standing; relief when sitting down.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

A bony spur are bony projections which develop on the edges of the bones, usually in the vertebrae and joints. They are formed over the years due to the wear and tear of the bones from the weight they have to maintain, the bones inadequately try to repair this bone loss by creating these bone spurs. So it is a part of degenerative arthritis, chronic damage of the joints.
Trouble is that these bony spurs can lead to compression and irritation of adjacent tissue, causing swelling and pain. The pain is more pronounced with walking and standing as that is when the spine carries more weight.

As for what to do....the first step is anti-inflammatory pain killers and physical therapy. Most patients improve as the swelling subsides. In some cases local injections of steroids and analgesics may be used when pain does not improve. When nothing works then surgery may be considered to remove bony spurs. However some more advance imaging than x-ray is needed when local injections or surgery is considered, usually MRI imaging.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.