Is asthma genetically inherited?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 8 Sep 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
This is query regarding suggestion on my baby diet.
My baby boy is 20months old now.
We are giving him normal diet every day.

1. Ragi in the morning.(Manna ragi rich)
2. Rice with Dal & leaf vegetable at afternoon
3. different types of fruit in the evening.
4. Curd Rice at dinner and he drinks Milk during night

Recently we observed that his food intake quantity has increased.
We need suggestions on his diet.
Heard that Organic food is good for baby. can you suggest any packaged organic food for him?
is there anything else we can include to his diet which will be helpful for his growth? (like health drink or something)

One more Question
I suffered from Asthma during my childhood. Even my father has it.
I fear my baby may also get it. wanted to know if it hereditary? If so how can we prevent it?
I asked same question to our baby doctor and he suggested seasonal flu vaccine Influenza A. we already gave one dosage of it and second dose is pending, but this vaccine has nothing to do with Asthma.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may start Pediasure for him

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to the HCM

I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

1. It's a healthy sign that your child is accepting the variety of food given to him and is also having increase in his requirements as per growth. I would advice you to offer him some snacks in between meals and increase the quantity of meals if required. Also, eggs, sprouts, soybeans, red meat, idli and dosa can be added at few meals in a week for better nutrition. You may give him Pediasure, complain, junior Horlicks etc. with milk as health drink.

Organic foods are good as they are not exposed to harmful chemicals and preservatives but nutritionally they are same as conventionally grown food. You may clean your veggies and fruits in water and vinegar for more purity.

You may order organic foods from organic XXXXXXX if you want. I am not sure about any specific brand to be promoted in this regard.

2. Asthma does have family history role but it's not 100% and it cannot be predicted beforehand. Children with strong family history need proper evaluation for any persistent cough, breathing problems and other allergies. Early control and proper management can easily help. Influenza vaccines do not help much in asthma prevention.
Give you child healthy balanced diet rich in vitamins especially vitamin C which helps in immunity build up.

Hopefully this will help you.