Is appendectomy suggestible for subsided fever and abdominal pain?

Posted on Thu, 22 May 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: My Nephew of age 5 Yr 9Months has got severe stomach pain and when we consulted a surgeon. He suggested for admission and we admitted her for 5 days. The pain got reduced and he said that Appendicities operation is mandatory and as they have given antibiotics we need to wait for 2 weeks and then we need to go for operation. Now when we have gone after 2 weeks they prepared everything for operation and before operation as they suggested to keep the same group of blood ready to inject if required, we tried for blood from blood bank.They tried several samples but nothing matched. Now they are telling it is important to cure blood group incompatability first. Below is the blood report. Please go through the report and let us know in detail what exactly the problem is.
Blood report:
-------------
Test blood for CRP
------------------
Investigation: Blood for Quantitative determination of CRP
Result:
Negative 1.0MG/L. 0.00 - 6.00mg/l
Methodology: immunoturbidimetry

Discharge summary Diagnosis: Appendicular mass + MAJOR BLOOD GROUP INCOMPATIBILITY
----------------------------
Drugs prescribed:
-----------------
wysolone 5mg morning 2 and night 2 tablets
Gelusil syrup morning 5 ml and night 5ml
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood incompatiblity

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
I understand your concern.

Appendisecotmy is done when there is acute infection leading to fever, pain in the abdomen, vomiting and so on. Once it has subsided it is not very important to to go for surgery unless the attack is recurrent. So surgery at the moment is not needed to be considered.

Regarding mismatching of blood, there is some immunological problem in the blood which creates antibodies to the transfused blood. One of the causes is CRP which in his case is negative. there are other multiple factors which can cause this type of immunological disorder which practically can not be eradicated and one has to be on immuno suppressive therapy which has already been prescribed to you. Hope with the passage of some time there will be auto correction of this immunological disorder and every thing will be fine as the child is in growing age.

If at any time surgery is indicated and blood transfusion is a must washed red cells can be instituted and and your child can be safely operated.

I hope you have got my point. So please don't worry.
Truly,
Dr. J. Ticku
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Jawahar Ticku

Oncologist