Is ankle replacement surgery more effective than ankle fusion surgery?
What can you tell me about the benefits or comparisons between ankle fusion and the more recent ankle replacement operations.
I have been told by a local surgeon I am a perfect candidate for ankle fusion. Have not sought opinion for an ankle replacement.
X-rays show bone on bone in the right ankle as well as damage to the bone and arthritis.
MRI show damage to ligaments. Ankle ligaments are very loose on both ankles. Have sprained both ankles many times, broke right ankle once.
Currently wearing ankle brace, but pain is limiting my interest in walking long distances, and running is out.
Type of surgery chosen depends on both patient and surgeon characteristics.
Ankle fusion involves cleaning the worn out ankle joint and fusing the bones together with screws, plates and bone grafts. Ankle fusion relieves pain, but it also limits ankle’s range of motion. Recovery is longer with ankle fusion than ankle replacement. It can take around 10 to 12 weeks in a cast.
As the ankle joint is locked in place, physical therapy is not part of the recovery process. Ankle fusion is predominantly indicated in a patient for controlling the ankle pain, simultaneously sacrificing the ankle mobility.
Ankle fusion is also recommended in whom total ankle replacement is not an option. Such cases would be those with overweight, associated nerve damage, paralysis, a history of infection, diabetes or deranged blood supply to a joint.
Ankle replacement is the latest option. It replaces the arthritic ankle joint with a metal prosthesis. The recovery period is shorter than ankle fusion – typically 3 to 6 weeks in a cast followed by physical therapy.
One can regain a much wider range of motion and most return to active lifestyles and thus this procedure is considered in those who prefer to have an active lifestyle.
Few patients who had an ankle fusion may be candidates for ankle replacement surgery to restore movement and function.
The choice of surgery ultimately depends upon the individual body characteristics and the surgeon's choice.
Hope I have answered your query. Post your further queries if any.
Thank you for your comments. I am very interested in exploring an ankle replacement operation. I live in XXXXXXX NY
I know of one surgeon who does this operation in XXXXXXX However, he has not been doing them for a long time. I would like to have a list of surgeons in XXXXXXX or in other parts of the country who have a longer proven track record of successfully performing the ankle replacement operation.
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXX
I am here providing you with the details of an eminent doctor specialised in ankle surgery.
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXX
Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXX is an orthopedic foot & ankle surgery specialist in XXXXXXX NY and has been practising for 23 years. She graduated from University XXXX / College Of Medicine in 1989 and specializes in orthopedic foot & ankle surgery and orthopedic surgery
URMC Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation XXXXXXX 601 XXXX Box 665 XXXXXXX XXXX
Fax Number: 0000
Kindly seek assistance from here.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Suresh Heijebu, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ankle joint replacement surgery
- Ankle replacement recovery
- Anesthesia for arthroscopic ankle surgery
- Ankle fusion surgery
- Can i claim dla for an ankle replacement surgery
- Ankle replacement implants
- My ankle burns after broken ankle surgery
- Ankle replacement failure options
- Healing after ankle surgery
- Suggest treatment for pain in ankle after a ankle surgery
- Does excessive massage result in temporary nerve damage?
- What is the prognosis for CKD with eGFR of 52?
- Suggest treatment for sore lesions on the chin and buttocks, nausea and...
- What do ingestion, diarrhea and brain fog indicate despite following a...
- Can CFS and de Quervain tenosynovitis increase one's CK levels?
- What causes chronic vomiting after several surgeries around the uterus...
- What causes difficulty in sleeping in an elderly person?
- Suggest ways to lose weight in a healthy manner
- Suggest treatment for persistent sinus infection
- Suggest remedies for swelling and purple bruise around the finger nails