Is anesthesia given before HSG test?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi ...I would like to know if anathesia will be given before HSG test
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.

Hysterosalphigography (HSG) test does not need any kind of anesthesia. Even local, spinal or general anesthesia is not necessary.

Only injection atropine is given intramuscularly. It acts as pre medication to relieve anxiety. It will also help to relieve spasm of the Fallopian tubes.
Post procedure antibiotics and analgesics are necessary for 3 days. It will avoid pain and infection.

I would like to give a few suggestions , make your bladder empty before the procedure. Don't be anxious too much, it will make the procedure difficult with spasm of genitalia. It may lead to false negative results.

In experienced hands it is just a 15 minute procedure. Best luck.

Hope I have answered your query. Any further doubts are welcome.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 37 hours later
I was given few tablets and injection for HSG. Azithral XXXXXXX suppository,Tramadol 50 mg,Dulcolax. Having this tablets will reduce the pain...?

Your Physician has given you the right medications. It includes antibiotics and analgesics. It will definitely reduce your pain.

The injection given was most likely atropine which we have discussed earlier.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any concern please let me know.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 19 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for the clarification provided. Also I would like to know the cost of HSG and Semen Analysis in chennai? I have my HSG tomorrow, will I be able to go to office on the next day?
You can go to the office the next day, definitely.

It is difficult to say about the cost of HSG and semen analysis in Chennai. It varies according to hospital, facilities and its standard. In a quite well established set up it should be around 1500 to 3000 Rs.

Best of luck.
Thanking you.