Is anal sex safe while on Plavix?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am XXXXXXX and I am on Plavix. Is it safe for me to engage in anal sex while on Plavix? Should I stop taking Plavix for a period of time before have anal sex like I do for some medical procedures?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you often get wounds after anal sex?

Detailed Answer:

If you get wounds during anal sex, then you would have to stay off plavix before indulging in anal sex. If you don't, there is no reason to stay off. You only stay off plavix when there is a risk of bleeding.

I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me for more guidance if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 19 minutes later
It has been a long time since I engaged in anal sex so I figure I may bleed so how long should I be off Plavix before having anal sex and how long is it safe to be off it?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
3days!

Detailed Answer:

Three days off is good enough. However, you need to talk with your doctor and find out whether it is advisable to stop given his evaluation of your clotting risk. Maybe stopping might require that you get another treatment option like lovenox.

I wish you well.