Is an ultrasound at 18 weeks of pregnancy indicating a high UAPI resistance normal?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I got my 18 weeks pregnanacy scan done and was detected with high UA PI resistance . is that common and what are the chances of the resistance levels declining in the third trimester. I had a missed abortion last year in 13 weeks as the fetal hearbeat went missing. so I am really concerned about the high UA PI thing this time. my doctor has advised ecosprin 100mg and suggested another scan in 28 week. is this medicine safe ?? any concerns that I should be having?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:

In normal pregnancies, umbilical PI starts at high values and then decreases progressively toward term. This indicates that normal placental development entails a progressive decrease in the impedance of the umbilical vascular bed to blood flow.
It increases from midgestation to approximately the beginning of the third trimester and then declines. In approximately 25% of FGR pregnancies, umbilical PI becomes significantly higher than normal.
Ecosprin 100 mg is very safe regarding pregnancy,
In my opinion you must go for Ultrasound for featus well being every 4-6 wks duration.
A high uterine artery pulsatility index reflects a defective development of placental bed spiral arteries in pregnancies complicated by hypertension and fetal growth retardation.
I hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for your response.It is really helpful. I just realised it is ecosprin 150 mg and not 100mg that is prescribed. once in a day. is that safe?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
150 mg daily is also safe.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for writing in again.

Ecosprin 150 mg daily is also safe. It will help in increasing the placental blood circulation and thus will prevent any growth retardation in the baby.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Take care,
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee