Is an overdose of Codeine fatal?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I have just taken 22 tablets of 30mg codeine, will i die?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need prompt care from ER!!!

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns today and will put my best efforts to get you out of this situation.

You have taken almost double the recommended daily dose. The recommended daily dose is 360mg for adults and thats too in divided doses. It is for a person who isn't a chronic user of the codeine. The chronic users may bear a slight higher dose if accidently taken.

You have taken almost double the maximum dosage allowed and that's too in a single dose. It is really devastating for your brain and heart.

It may cause respiratory depression, Cardiac arrhythmias (deranged rhythms of the heart and may lead to life threatening consequences).

Death may occur in severe cases with Arrhythmias of the heart, OR due to the respiratory depression.

I suggest you to call the poison control centre or ER nearest to you to get prompt care.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating to help us assist our patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Write down my name in the start of your question always & I will be with you sooner).

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T