question-icon

Is an intermittent, throbbing pain in the inner thigh with history of pulmonary embolism indicative of a blood clot?

Posted on Tue, 11 Sep 2018
Question: I have an intermittent, throbbing pain in my inner thigh, about where the main artery is located. I am a 77 year old male, currently taking Coumadin. Is this a symptom of a blood clot? Just had my PT blood test today, was 2.1.
Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
INR testing and color Doppler study.

Detailed Answer:

As you have history of pulmonary embolism, this should be taken seriously. I will suggest color Doppler study of blood vessel as there may be a clot. If clot found, that has to be treated .

Do not massage the affected area as clot may break to give emboli. Instead of PT you should undergo INR for follow-up and it should be between 2 to 3.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Varinder Joshi , General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Varinder Joshi