Is an infant's habit of rubbing their genitals against various surfaces a sign of any infection?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 26 Nov 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My daughter is 14 months old.
From past several days, she has started rubbing the genital area against bed,floor or any toy etc while lying down in prone position. (Pic attached)
I am not sure whether it could be due to some itching which she might be feeling due to diaper or is it normal in kids? Please suggest.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal in babies

Detailed Answer:

Let me assure you that this is normal in kids. It could be due to accidental self stimulation or could be due to some itch. Just do not pay any attention or draw attention to it. It would be fine. No need to get worried. Nothing needs to be done about it.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana