Is an infant passing green stool with streaks of blood worrisome?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 3 month baby is passsing green stool with streaks of blood.No other symptoms.Baby is healthy and happy. Is it a concern?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please get stool test done

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thanks for asking on this platform. I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.

Green colored stool can be normal in this age and it gets normal. No need to worry about that if there is no other significant complaint.

I am concerned about the blood streaks. I would like to know the following:
1. If there is increase in frequency also blood is there every time when he passes stool.
2. Any history of constipation if it is there.
3. What feed you are giving to the baby(breast fed, formula milk fed or cow milk) and
4. For how long this blood mixed stool is there.

Blood in stool can be due to injury to the anus due to hard stool, due to cow milk protein allergy and uncommonly due to infection or intestinal pathology.Sometimes no cause can be detected and it improves on its own within a day or two.

I would like to get a stool test done to confirm the presence of blood or any evidence of infection if it is there.
I won't get overly worried if amount of blood is not large, baby is otherwise active and taking feeds well.

You can observe for one or two days and if it persists, better get him clinically evaluated by a pediatrician for clinical examination to rule out any injury to the anal area.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar, Pediatrician, Cardiology

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj