Is an infant passing green stool with streaks of blood worrisome?
Please get stool test done
Thanks for asking on this platform. I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Green colored stool can be normal in this age and it gets normal. No need to worry about that if there is no other significant complaint.
I am concerned about the blood streaks. I would like to know the following:
1. If there is increase in frequency also blood is there every time when he passes stool.
2. Any history of constipation if it is there.
3. What feed you are giving to the baby(breast fed, formula milk fed or cow milk) and
4. For how long this blood mixed stool is there.
Blood in stool can be due to injury to the anus due to hard stool, due to cow milk protein allergy and uncommonly due to infection or intestinal pathology.Sometimes no cause can be detected and it improves on its own within a day or two.
I would like to get a stool test done to confirm the presence of blood or any evidence of infection if it is there.
I won't get overly worried if amount of blood is not large, baby is otherwise active and taking feeds well.
You can observe for one or two days and if it persists, better get him clinically evaluated by a pediatrician for clinical examination to rule out any injury to the anal area.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar, Pediatrician, Cardiology
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Infant fishy smell green stool
- Temp in infants with green stools
- Blood in urine and green stool
- Fever green stool infant
- Putty green stool in infant
- Infant green stool sore bottom
- Infant green stool mucus
- My baby is passing green stools
- Dark green stool in decentry in infants
- Zinc iron green stool infant
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting