Is an evolving melanoma after mole removal a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: Last week I had a pinhead size mole (not raised) on my leg removed by my dematologist. I just received a call from the dermatologist saying that the mole could be an evolving melanoma but they are not sure; another specimen has to be taken by the plastic surgeon. I am scheduled for that procedure in 2 weeks. I am olive skin, and do not sunburn easily, so I would not think that I was at significant risk for skin cancer. In any event, how serious is an evolving melanoma? Also, does the recutting at the site in any way increase the likelihood that whatever is there will grow more quickly? This latter question may seem silly, but I am curious, especially, since the mole removed was so small and unassuming (very small, flat, no scaling, bleeding, etc.). The doctor did note, however, that under a magifying glass the mole had some variation in color.
Answered by Dr. Monish De 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Immediate excisional biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

As the mole had some variation in color it could turn out to be evolving melanoma which is a very serious condition

Without treatment average survival time is 6 months

I would advise an immediate excisional biopsy

Recutting at the site does not increase the likeihood of it growing more quickly

If it is diagnosed as melanoma in the biopsy then i would recommend wide and deep surgical excision to provide adequate tumour free margin as it sometimes can recurr

A 1 cm tumour free margin is recommended for melanomas less than 1 mm in thickness and 1 to 2 cm margins for deeper lesions

DR DE

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Monish De

Oncologist