Is an asymmetric slight protrusion of the lower left rib bone in an infant worrisome?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi doc, my son will turn 11 months on coming March 2nd. He is a very active kid who stands by furniture & crawls really fast. I have noticed that his lower left rib is slightly protruding sometimes,when I hold him though when laid flat it looks normal.. Is there anything to worry? Can this be some sort of abnormality?How to proceed further?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:

I don't think any significant abnormality is there.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

Thanks for asking on this platform

I do understand your concern. After going through the query I don't think any significant abnormality is there.

I won't get overly worried if there is no redness or pain in the prominent part. Sometimes you may find some asymmetric protrusion over the rib bone and it subsides as the baby grows due to development of muscles.

I would request you to observe and let me know or consult a pediatrician if there is any significant growth.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar,
Pediatrician, Cardiology