Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Is an abnormal pap smear, watery and bloody discharge a sign of cervical cancer ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I have always been consistent with my yearly pap smears, but this time, I went to the doctor a little early because I was experiencing spotting during this past month. I got a phone call saying that my pap smear was abnormal and that I need to schedule a biopsy. I had unprotected sex for the first time 1.5 months ago after being abstinent for over a year. I'm very scared. What could this mean?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Follow-up: Is an abnormal pap smear, watery and bloody discharge a sign of cervical cancer ? 3 minutes later
I am very scared that I have cervical cancer because I am reading that if someone has watery, bloody discharge, that is a sign of cervical cancer. I can't get in touch with my doctor because it is the weekend. However, I am so scared.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Pap smears are not 100% conclusive for cervical cancer.And if a test is abnormal then there can be many reasons that may cause this.An abnormal smear merely means that some cells are not normal,and that can occur due to many reasons like infection,white discharge,multiple partners ,frequent sex etc.About cervical cancer,your age group is too early for the manisfestation of cancer.Usually it occurs in later life.I would suggest that you get that biopsy and wait till the report come back.You also need to be examined by your gynaecologist.Your symptoms of blood discharge can occur due to local irritation,ulcers,polyps etc.So before you panic please get your reports in order.

Do contact me with queries,if you have them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor