Is an abnormal growth on the tonsils indicative of throat cancer?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am worried I have throat/tonsil cancer. I have 2 areas 1 on each tonsil that shouldn’t be there and I’m not sure how long they have been there. I am 36 year old male with HTN and Gerd. I smoke a pack per day and have since I was 15. My throat doesn’t hurt and I seem to have no other symptoms. Is this cancer or anything to be concerned about? Both things are squishy and painless.

Age: 36
Male
Medications: Prilosec and Hydrochlorizide
I am worried I have throat/tonsil cancer. I have 2 areas 1 on each tonsil that shouldn’t be there and I’m not sure how long they have been there. I am 36 year old male with HTN and Gerd. I smoke a pack per day and have since I was 15. My throat doesn’t hurt and I seem to have no other symptoms. Is this cancer or anything to be concerned about? If not cancer, what do you think it may be? Both things are squishy and painless.

Age: 36
Male
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Growth tonsil

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
I have seen the pictures attached. There is a growth in the tonsils. It can be benign or malignant. My advise is you should get yourself examined by an Ent specialist and get a biopsy done from the growth. it is probably viral as it is on both sides but still it is must to get a histopathological examination done.
This will help to diagnose the cause and the treatment will depend on the biopsy report.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Do you think it is HPV? That is what comes up when I look up tonsil virus.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Growth tonsil

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Yes it can be papilloma virus..but nothing confirmed can't be said unless it is investigated.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana