Is an HIV test necessary despite negative 4th generation HIV test result?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: DR. last year in January , I tested for HIV, using the Oraquik home system, tested negative, feb 1, took the HIV 4th gen test, it was also negative, again feb 15, negative for HIV 4th gen test, march 15, took the HIV RNA 1, also negative, and again April last year, HIV 4th gen test, negative, I just wanted to be sure. Have not had any exposure since October 2016. Shall I take these tests as conclusive , and are they reliable, it was thru LAB CORP.

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

You are definitely free of HIV.

Detailed Answer:

It is a good news that you are negative for all these tests.

Based on your history, having negative results for these tests and especially a negative result of 4th generation HIV test after 5 months from the exposure I think you shouldn't worry because this is very accurate and conclusive.

You are definitely free of HIV.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Monika Dede, Infectious Diseases Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D