Is an HCG injection appropriate immediately after diagnosing a dominant ovarian follicle?

Dr. Khushboo Priya

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: I'm 28F planning for baby
I'm have PCOD and periods are irregular ..
This month I'm on Siphene 150 mg
Today I had an scan (day11) 5.30 PM , and in Right ovary there was one dominant follicle 19*16mm and in left ovary largest one is 11*8mm

Today doctor gave me HCG 5000 iui injection at 6.30 pm..
Was the timing of injection was correct or they should have waited
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Injection timing was correct.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I think injection timing was correct. The follicle was 19 x 16 mm that means average size was 17.5 mm, which is indication of getting a mature egg from the follicle. So, be in contact with your husband for 2 to 3 days after injection. Do a scan after 2 days for seeing the rupture of follicles. Start taking progesterone after 2 days for next 2 weeks. Do a urine pregnancy test at home after that. Don't take too much stress and don't worry about the result. All the best. Hope I have answered your question.
Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 2 hours later
1 what should be endometrium thickness... mine it's 8.8 mm
2. on 11th day only follicle is 19mm , is it early?? it should be 13-14 th day ??

I have few doubts
1. 19mm follicle on 11th day is it early??? last tym follicle was 18 mm on 13 th day
2. what should be endometrium thickness.... mine it's 8.8 mm
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is fine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I think sometimes follicle can come up early also. There is nothing to worry about it. Actually the size of follicles matter more than the day of cycle. The endometrial thickness is also good. It should be more than 8 mm on day of injection. Regarding the follicle, a cycle is generally of 28 days. So, if your follicles is 19 mm on day 11, it will rupture After 34 to 36 hours after the injection that means on day 13. You will take progesterone for 2 weeks. So, that completes a cycle of 28 days that is quite normal. Hope I have answered your question.
Dr XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 43 minutes later
Thanks for reply
For follicular scan which one is better abdominal or trans vaginal scan
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Transvaginal scans are much better.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I think Transvaginal scans are much better in comparison to abdominal scans for seeing uterus and ovaries. They give a clear picture of endometrial thickness and follicles size.