Is an ESR level of 102 mm/hr a concern?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Had c section on 5 th August now from 17 august fever is continue coming testing was done as prescribed by dr all blood and urine reports were normal except ESR which was 102 mm/hr what should we do
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
USG, Blood and urine culture and sensitivity . broad spectrum antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Purushottm Neurgaonkar welcomes you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. I have understood your concern. I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

1 ) First of all do not panic.

2 ) most common causes of fever after delivery of the baby either by vaginal route or by C - section are -
Genital tract infection, urinary tract infection. Breast Engorgement, breast abscess or some viral or parasitic infections.

3 ) I will suggest to get these causes ruled out from your treating doctor.

Blood and urine culture and sensitivity test will be of help. Along with that Plesse get tests for Malarial parasite.

Also, it will be helpful to get USG done to know about the uterine cavity.

4 ) Please keep yourself hydrated, drink plenty of water in the day.

You can use Tab Calpol 650 mg as needed to get down fever.
Also, please complete the course of antibiotics as prescribed by your treating doctor.

If you are not advised any antibiotics, then I will suggest to get a prescription for broad spectrum antibiotics like combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulinate, which will be a safe option when you are breastfeeding the baby and has broad spectrum against most of the infection causing bacteria.

Use of vitamin C tablets 500 mg twice a day for ten days will be helpful to improve your immunity.

I hope this answer helps you. .
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng