Is an ER consultation required for a child that consumed raisins with worms?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
Hi Dr

My 3 year old was eating dried raisins and while he was eating halfway , u realise there is this piece that had a tiny little white worm almost over invisible to naked eye. Of course I quickly threw it away . I'm worried that my child might have eaten some raisins that might have this tiny white worm. May I know what can be done ? Like will the worm multiply etc . Anything to eat to kill worms just in case ?
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observe for symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
In most of the cases nothing happens after ingesting worm containing food, as they don't survive in acidic environment of stomach .
Sometimes there can be allergic reaction or bacterial infection after eating rotten item.
I won't get worried if child is taking foods well, there is no vomiting, watery stool/book mixed stool.
You continue giving normal food and if you notice any problem please consult your pediatrician as he may need antibiotic treatment.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.