Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

196 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is an ER consultation required for a child that consumed raisins with worms?

Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 1902 Questions

default
Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi Dr

My 3 year old was eating dried raisins and while he was eating halfway , u realise there is this piece that had a tiny little white worm almost over invisible to naked eye. Of course I quickly threw it away . I'm worried that my child might have eaten some raisins that might have this tiny white worm. May I know what can be done ? Like will the worm multiply etc . Anything to eat to kill worms just in case ?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observe for symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
In most of the cases nothing happens after ingesting worm containing food, as they don't survive in acidic environment of stomach .
Sometimes there can be allergic reaction or bacterial infection after eating rotten item.
I won't get worried if child is taking foods well, there is no vomiting, watery stool/book mixed stool.
You continue giving normal food and if you notice any problem please consult your pediatrician as he may need antibiotic treatment.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on