Is an AST level of 56 and an alkaline phosphatase level of 139 too high?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My AST Level is 56 and Akaline Phosphatase is 139 , is this too high ?
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I would be glad to answer your query.

I would like to inform you that AST (aspartate aminotransferase) enzyme level is usually tested to check for liver diseases, in your case the levels are higher than the normal (14-20U/L) or (0.23-0.33mckat/L)values. However, it is clinically significant only when the value is increased three folds. You do not need any treatment for this.

Also, alkaline phosphatase levels are increased beyond the normal range (30-120UL). Again, this is also insignificant raise.

Please repeat the test after 3 months and recheck the values.

If you have any more queries, I would be glad to answer them.

I wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E