Is amputation of all toes necessary after an unhealed wound infection?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: Friend stepped on roofing nail 6 months ago was infected third toe amputated it got reinforced 2 months later had I&d dressed by home nurses 3 months foot healed now they want to amputate all toes bone infection? Would foot heal with bone infection
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Amputation would be the best approach at this time!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I have reviewed the information fully. I am so sorry to hear about this foot infection that has been impossible to completely treat. Given that he's diabetic, this is a diabetic foot and call for aggressive management. Failure of healing in the past several months with no signs of the infection slowing down calls for immediate and aggressive measures. Failure to do so would actually allow the infection to progress to higher levels. This infection is also extremely difficult to treat because of the nerve damage, diabetes and probably compromised blood supply.

In my opinion, surgery that amputates above the infected area would be the best option at this time. Though it is distressing to have the foot amputated, there are many possibilities that can allow for corrections through prosthesis that would greatly improve the quality of life.

I hope this helps. I wish your friend well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ivo Ditah