Is alcohol consumption advisable while suffering from liver infection?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: Sir i suffered from liver abscess about 1.5 yrs ago and now i am fine i just need to know that whether drinking alcohol occassionaly is healthy for me or not ?
Also i only have beer and no hard liquor but yesterday u had one so now today i was having slight pain in my right upper abdomen.
I regularly do tests of my liver and results are always normal and i have been drinking alcohol since quite few months so please tell me whether it is fine for me to continue with alcohol for my better future ??
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should stop Alcohol completely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Drinking Alcohol is not good for health even occasionally.
As you already suffered with Liver abscess, it's better to avoid Alcohol completely.
To have good health and future, please stop Alcohol completely and immediately.
Hope I answered your query.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 49 minutes later
Ok sir i got your point but just one last question i need to ask.
Till now i only used to have beer because it has low alcohol content in it and i was absolutely fine but suddenly in my uncles marraige last week i had couple of pegs of hard liquor and since then sometimes i am feeling pain in my upper right side above abdomen after i eat food. So i just need to know what is the reason for this and what should i do? Also can i continue with beer as i only drink beer once in a week and till now i was absolutely fine untill i was having beer.
Also i must tell you that since last 1 yr i was frequently carrying out my liver tests in between and the reports where positive and healthy even when i was drinking beer.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to Gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Pain could be due to Gastritis. I prescribe Tablet Rabeprazole 20mg before food to my patients with similar complaints. If there is no response, you should get an Ultrasound abdomen and rule out Liver disease.
As you had previous Liver disease,it's better to stop beer,even weekly.It is harmful to Pancreas and Stomach too.
Hope I answered your query.