Is alcohol advisable when diagnosed with liver cirrhosis disease?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I am taking udiliv 300 since XXXXXXX 2016 twice a day along with multivitamins. Also normaxin is prescribed in case of stomach disorder sos. I am diagnosed with cirrhosis chronic liver disease.. But as advised I am unable to leave alcohol.. Pl suggest how much alcohol one can take in this condition..i take daily 180 ml or 1 and half beer..
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No amount of alcohol should be used

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using health care magic.

I read your query and understand your concern.

Considering the previous history of liver damage I do not think you should take alcohol as it may initiate a catastrophic reaction and ultimately liver failure. Cirrhosis of liver is end stage disease and patient never returns normal provided there is complete cessation of alcohol intake.

Whatever you are taking is equal to taking your life in slow manner and I request you to stop it as soon as possible.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 15 minutes later
But my last report says my lft and hepatis tests were fine. I have also done fiberscan. It shows 35 no. Earlier now it has come down to 32. Doctor said I have shown improvement during my last visit 2 months back. He has also advised to do endoscopy which is pending...

As per current status. How much years I can live
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If it remains under control I do not think it will shorten your life

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

The problem is with repeated insult to liver by use of alcohol and if it is continued most of the patients succumb to liver failure in less than one decade time.

If subsequent insult to liver is avoided most person live a normal life and have natural death.

So the most important thing is to avoid alcohol abuse as it can trigger vicious cycle of events leading to further deterioration.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 18 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your prompt replies. Bit I am only worried if I have liver cirrhosis, how can I live a normal and longer life. But lft report is fine. Its quite confusing and I normally get disturbed...
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Because liver regenerates itself

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for reverting back to me .

You can live normal life because liver have tremendous capacity to regenerate itself. Report are only abnormal when the liver is damaged to 70% or like and it does not mean you have completely normal liver.

I hope this assists you further.
Thanks and regards.