Is air travel safe during 4 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I just found out im pregnant, about 4 weeks. I was planning on traveling by plane in about 4 weeks. Is it safe? I did have a miscarriage once at around 8 weeks due to a flu virus and found out the baby did nor jave a heart beat ay 10 weeks. Im trying to figure out if i should cancel my travel or is it ok to fly?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Travel should preferably be avoided

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Air travel should generally be avoided in first trimester or first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
This is so because chances of bleeding and miscarriage are more in early pregnancy.
I will suggest you to delay your travel, if possible.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D