Is acting out with limbs during sleep paralysis a common phenomenon?

Dr. Alok Sinha

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Is"acting out" with hand or leg of the thoughts experienced during sleep paralysis a known phenomenon ?

I have been diagnosed with narcolepsy without catalepsy since childhood, now 85 y/o. Repeated sleep studies measured up to 175 leg twitches nightly. Regimen is levothyroxine, allopurinol, Flomax generic, Dexilant DR, Neurotin generic irregularly, 1/4 grain aspirin and recently metoprolol (A-fib). Chronic dizziness/imbalance is recent. 12 -15 hours sleep is routine when sedentary.
Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes little acting out with limbs during sleep paralysis is known phenomenon

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
I understand your concern.

Sleep Paralysis occurs due to sudden awakening during REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep. The severity and duration of sleep paralysis depends upon the timing of the phase. If a person wakes up middle or early phase of REM sleep then it causes complete sleep paralysis for many minutes.

If a person wakes up during end of REM sleep then it leads to transient, little weakness of voluntary muscles, with faster recovery. During such short spell of sleep paralysis little acting out with smaller muscle group is possible and known phenomenon.

I hope this answers you query.
I wish you a better health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Alok Sinha 51 minutes later
This on-line connection isvery shaky. Didtiu receivemyfollow-upquestion?
Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I could not see your follow up query.

Detailed Answer:
Please post your follow-up query again. I could not get it yet.
Follow up: Dr. Alok Sinha 38 hours later
Would you find contra-indicated the use of modoifil to seek sorely needed focus and wakefulness ?
Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Modafinil may be used in such case.

Detailed Answer:
thanks for follow up query.

Modafil (Modafinil) is a wakefulness promoting agent and it is widely used in patients suffering from narcolepsy to improve wakefulness and cognition at day time.
I do not consider it contraindicated in your case. But you should take it soon after awakening in morning. Taking it at mid day or at afternoon may further worsen insomnia at night.
I hope this answers your query.
I wish you a better health.