• question-icon

Is accidental inhalation of soap fumes fatal?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I used a nebulizer with xponex and must not have washed out the pieces properly and there was some soap residue i used this for one minute before realizing should i be very concered? I have been wasing with XXXXXXX dish soap I noticed a soap smell and then a minute later when i pulled it away i saw small bubble
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Foreign body

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare magic and thanks for putting up the query
Soap will dry of spontaneously..if you don't have any symptoms you need not worry.
The inspired air is purified by nasal cavities and in case anything crosses it is coughed out.
You can wash the nasal cavities with saline nasal drops.
If you have any symptoms like breathing difficulty or rashes etc you should take an anti-allergic like levocetrizine stat and visit an emergency.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 50 minutes later
Thanks. My other question pertains fo cough. Six weeks ago i had a cold congestion, facial pain, scratchy throat and post nasal drip (common for me) lasting about a week. It then turned into a persistant dry tickle cough. Coughing fits about 10 mins long would sometimes turn into a wheezing sound. I went to primary and she thought i had a virus. A week later i went back to another primary since i wasnt feeling better and she perscirbed s nose spray that insurance didnt cover so i didnt use anything. I went to my allergist/ asthma specialist thr following week. She did breathing spirometry test (88 % last year scorevhad been 96 %). She listined to lungs and felt they were clear. Did nebulizer treatment in office and score on breathing test improved. Recommened .63 xponex nebulizer 3-4 times a day. Was not feeling hugly better with chest tightness although coughing has lessened a week later so went back to dr. Repeated spirometry test before i was due for my next nebulizer treatment and it increased to 93 with almost no xponex in system. Doc gave me another nebulizer treatment in office and had me repeat test again and no change was seen. She wants me to continue xponex nebulizer for 7-10 days. Because im still having post nasal drip (something i normally have regardless) she wants to treat me for sinus infection. Amoxicillian 875 mg every 12 hours. I amsensitve to meds in general and dont like taking antibitocs unless necessary. I have no facial pain/pressure/no sore throat/ no fever and no real congestion only post nasal drip and longering cough that seems to be improving. Do you think the syptoms of the post nasal drip and tickle cough indicate a sinus infection and warrent taking the amoxicillian? I would hate to treat something when it doesnt feel like i have a sinus infection She also felt like my chest sounded very clear. She seemed unsure about the post nasal drip and was quick to call that a sinus infection.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
Post nasal drip is always due to a nasal pathology. it should be investigated before going for any treatment. The cough is so do due to throat irritation caused by continuing post nasal drip.
You should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and send me
Use a nasal spray twice daily for a week and a combination of levocetrizine and phenylepherine twice daily.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Wish you get well soon.
Follow up with the reports.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 42 hours later
I have used the xponex for a week when i used the full amount i noticed a rapid heart rate aroun 113bpm and a strange fluttering in my lung area however when i use half of the vial of 3 ml i get relief with no real side effects. However im extremely anxious that i will develop an allergic reaction or other bad side effect. Is this likely to happen even though ive been using it for a week and realtivley minimal side effects. I read the side effect list and im extremely anxious about it. I used tonight and almost had a strange sensation in my lower throat
Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Inhalers are topical drugs and at prescribed dosage these don't cause systemic side effects.
Throat irritation is a known side effect. You can do gargles to avoid it.
Taper the dose and if the problems persist in spite of decreasing dose, you can get an alternative drug prescribed.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 10 hours later
Thanks so if i have been taking it for a week alreadynit would be rare to suddenly develop an allergic reaction or some other seriousside effect to it?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Yes it is very rare but a remote possibility can't be ruled out.
Any allergic reaction will develop on first use as well and any systemic side effects after using for just 1 week are very rare.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist