Is accidental ingestion of toothpaste by a child a cause for concern?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Dental Health
Question: Hi,
While brushing his teeth with kids (Dentoshine) my ~3 years swallow foam as he lacks art of spitting.
Please let me know if it is okay to swallow and if not they what is other workaround to clean his teeth.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nausea, gastric irritation, mucositis, teach your kid to spit the foam

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the swallowing foam of tooth paste by your kid is concerned, it might result in adverse effects like gastric irritation, mucositis, and nausea. If these adverse effectd results, it will be severe in children since they are too young to with stand these effects. So it is better to teach your kid to spit the tooth paste foam after brushing. You can make him rinse his mouth with saline and train him to spit, then your kid will brush and spit. If your kid swallow the foam once or twice nothing will happen but on regular basis it result in above said complications. There is no other alternative to avoid this than training your kid.
I hope I have answered your query. if you have any queries reply me back. take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar