Is absence of wax in the ears a cause for concern?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My ears havent been producing wax lately. Usually my ears are full of wax and I can never seem to keep them clean enough. But now theres never any wax in them. Is this a problem? Also, every morning when i wake up my right ear is wet with this ooze like substance. Is this an emergency?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is not an emergency.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your ear drums checked with an otoscope. It will help reveal the reason.

2. If there is no ear wax, an Impedance Audiometry should be done.

3. A swab sample he ear discharge should be sent for culture & sensitivity tests.

4. Upload these test results to discuss further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 minutes later
About 3 weeks ago i was diagnosed with a sinus infection then a week later with an ear infection in the ear with the discharge. It got better, but then i think it got reinfected. I also have some pretty painful headaches. It feels like a really tight band around my head with some mild vertigo. Could all of this be related?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. This could be related.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Given this history of sinusitis and ear infections, all this could be related.

2. Eustachian Tube Dysfunction leads to this situation. Dizziness can occur due to ear infections or pressure changes in the middle ear. Headaches could be due to sinusitis though the correlation is low.

3. These symptoms should get better with medication.

4. Later you can investigate the sinusitis, ear, dizziness and headaches.

Regards.