Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Is abdominal soreness after severe vomiting and diarrhea a sign of kidney pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
36 hours ago I developed severe vomiting and diarrhea. It has been 10 hours since my last episode of vomiting. My question is about abdominal pain. I know to expect some abdominal soreness but I have bilateral pain in what I think is my kidney area. The pain is really intense when I move but the subsides about 2-3 minutes later. I had an appendectomy 20 years ago, passed urine this a.m. Could this be kidney pain? If so what should I do?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: You have amebic dysentry due to food poisoning Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Your symptoms suggest that you suffered from an acute bacterial/amebic infection apparently due to food poisoning. The pain is due to infection-induced inflammation of the inner lining of the large intestine (called Colon). That is, the inner lining is sore. The initial 3/4th of the colon is located in an inverted U-shaped manner. It has three segments : ascending colon (on right side), Transverse colon (horizontal in the upper abdomen and, Descending colon (on the left side of abdomen). The pain is arising from an inflamed ascending and descending colon, which mimic bilateral kidney-pain. Diarrhea is not a feature of kidneys' infection. However, co-existing kidney infection cannot be ruled out, particularly if you have co-existing urine infection. A prompt course of anti-amebic drug and Probiotics will facilitate early healing of the inflamed colon, within 2-3 days' time. Till the colon heals, take an anti-spasmodic drug , such as, dicyclomine for relief of pain Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order stool tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor