Is abdominal pulsation normal during pregnancy?

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: My lower tummy is pulsing I am 7 weeks pregnant is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is normal, your abdominal vessels are getting bigger

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

Yes- it is normal and very common to feel your belly pulsing when you are pregnant. This is actually one of the ways your body adjusts to increase blood flow to your uterus to provide the baby with oxygen.

When you are pregnant, your blood volume (the amount of total blood in your body increases over 50 percent, so the large blood vessels in your abdomen, like your aorta, will feel like they beat harder than before. On addition the blood vessels that supply your uterus can double in size.

So because if that, especially if you're thin you may even see your pulse beating on your belly. Again this is nothing to worry about and is a normal part of your body developing to support the baby.

I hope I was able to answer your question today and that this information was reassuring.

If you need anything further do not hesitate to contact me, otherwise best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy, and thank you for using my services at healthcaremagic.com

Sincerely, Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D