Is abdominal pain, diarrhea and vomiting, signs of diverticulitis?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My boyfriend is having severe abdominal pain on the left side and it radiates to the back. This is accompanied with fever chills and vomiting and diarrhea. He is in severe pain. Can't find any comfortable position and is restless.. any thoughts as to what we can do at home. He may have diverticulitis. He hates hospitals and I'm trying to help him out but if it might be something worse I would hate to waste valuable time. Any advise would be really appreciated. The pain in the side has been most of the evening.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs Medical attention as soon as possible.

Detailed Answer:

Noted the history about your boyfriend and understood the concerns. Since, the pain is severe and has a fever with chills means there is an infection which need a proper clinical evaluation, examination and supportive investigations as soon as possible.It has already been 7 important hours.

Since, vomiting has already started means he may go into dehydration and associated complications as he has diarrhea too; may need intravenous injections, fluids and electrolyte replacement. If the vomiting does not stop the oral medications also will become ineffective as these will be thrown out.

You can give him the following:

PPI like Omeprazole. Antispasmodic for pain relief. Most of the medications needed are prescription based hence it is best to take him to the Emergency care/ ER or nearby hospital as the facility is available and so.

Dr. T Chandrakant,
General Surgeon