Is a weight of 7kg ideal for a 6 month old child?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: hello doctor, my babyboy will just completed 6 months of age. his weight is 7.1 kg, he doesnt have any health problem. taking rice n daal cereal, apple, etc. as well as breastfeeding well. Is his weight is proper for this age? he looks leaner. earlier also he had weight gain issue when he was 2 month old. please guide about the same, that time his dr gave him mct oil suppliment. now we r adding little ghee in his cereal. Should we start giving him mct oil again?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Growth monitoring should be all he needs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the question. Let me assure you that if the child is otherwise doing fine, you need not worry. However, measuring his weight every three months and plotting it on a WHO Growth Chart (just google out) will help you evaluate whether he is growing properly. If the weight follows the lines of the growth chart, you need not worry.

In a normal scenario, the birth weight doubles in 5 months and triples in 10-12months. So, I hope the weight is appropriate for age. Moreover, the child is supposed to be able to sit on his own by 8 months of age. If that is the case, you need not worry.

Its good to know that you have weaned the baby to semi solids. Basically it is a transition to adult diet and practically anything of adult diet but low on spices can be given in the mashed form. Introduce one new food item per week. Unless for taste, I would consider ghee an optional component. Ghee is not likely to be rich in omega 3 fatty acids. You need not start MCT oil again. So long as semi solids, vegetables and fruits are being given, you need not worry about it. Alongside, continue breast feeding upto at least 1 year of age.

Let me know in case of further queries.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician