Is a tickle in throat caused by post nasal drip?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: tickle in thoart wont go away only when im alseep, could this be post nasal drip? or something else?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Tickle in the throat only when you are asleep- this is obviously Post-nasal drip, meaning the secretions coming from the POSTERIOR ( back ) end of the nose.

Get an ENT Endoscopy and CT scan of the Para-nasal-sinuses done to find the exact cause, facilitating proper treatment. Also think of stress related ENT problems.

All the treatments are best done if the cause is perfectly found, there is no ifs and buts in Medical/ Surgical field.

There is no other possibility.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you like.
Dr T Chandrakant
General and ENT Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 12 minutes later
thankyou for reply, my fault i dont have when sleeping only during the day when im awake, do you think this is still post nasal drip?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is

Detailed Answer:
Yes, the duration of the day has no bearing upon the symptoms .
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 19 minutes later
oh thankyou,

i was going to buy this below do you think this will help?

http://www.boots.com/en/Sudafed-Decongestant-Tablets---12_127221/?cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-PLAs-_-PLAs+-+All+Products

Would there be any drug interaction with testosterone and arimidex?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Inter-disciplinary approach

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Sudafed alone does not help.
I would recommend you to see an ENT surgeon and get all the tests done as advised above. The postnasal drip have long term effects , some of which may become permanent or very difficult to treat. The ENT would also discuss with you about the interactions of the medicines he will prescribe you with the ones you are already under.
The possibility of vasomotor rhinitis is to be remembered which has a direct bearing upon the further management.

As any patient presents with a complex of problems, the best way is an inter-disciplinary approach for you to get the best results for all your problems. Every single problem can not be treated individually.

I hope you are getting my point as you must be suffering from other problems too.
Please do not use such medications without approval of your treating Doctor who has examined and investigated you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T