Is a temperature of 97-98 indicative of a fever?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was diagnosed with the flu on Monday night, so I probably had for a day or two prior. Therefore I am probably in day 5 or 6 of the flu. My temperature was as high as 101.6 (that is very high for me since I am normally around 96.5). About 12 hours after taking the first tamiflu, the temp dropped to 98.6. Much better, but still high for me. For the last few days, I have been remaining in the 97.5 to 98 range. I just can't shake that last degree. The cough has subsided and I am feeling almost normal. Do I technically have a fever? ( I have bronchiectasis. Could that have something to do with the last degree I can not shake? What is very odd, ever since I have been sick this week, I have not had one episode of shortness of breath. Strange.)
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

It's normal.

Detailed Answer:

97.5-98.0 means you're afebrile (you don't have a fever). Since all the symptoms have started to abate or are already gone, there is nothing to worry about.

Tamiflu has to be taken for 5 days (twice daily) in order to complete the full course. If you taken that much then you're perfectly OK.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Panagiotis Zografakis, Internal Medicine Specialist